Skip to main content

art projects and the unexpected

hubs was fixing some air leaks (since it's -5000 degrees)...

so when left alone in the cold, the can produced this. who knew hubby was such a great artist!

sometimes the unexpected brings the greatest joy...and the biggest blessings.

one thing i am really working on right now, is being content in ALL things. when the kids aren't listening and the dog won't quit barking, and hubs is late getting home, and i haven't showered for the 2nd day in a row, and dinner isn't fixed, and well...you get the point.
the weight of the day can get me caught up in the midst of all that is "bad"...and then i get lost in the bad, not looking for all that is really "good" and "blessed" around me.

i have a great family...a husband who absolutely adores me and thinks i'm hot in spite of the way i think i look. i have 4 girls who are a little nuts {but so am i}...the girls are busy and into everything and leaving a trail of messes that seem to never end...but they are mine. God gave us each of them in totally amazing and incredible ways...and each one so different. yet, i still look at God some days and say, "i have to get out of here"...and i miss the blessing. it's not my kids fault...it's mine. i can't see past the laundry and dusty floors and dishes to see the love that created the "unexpected".

then...i get reminded, by my faithful one. in luke 6:17-21, Jesus had taken some time away and as he came down from the mountain, a huge crowd surrounded him. at that point, i wonder if my thought would have been, "seriously!!"

but, what does Jesus do. knowing his time here on earth is limited {and so is ours, btw}, he stopped and prayed and healed and sat with those who needed him. and then he says this (from the message):

You're blessed when you've lost it all.
God's kingdom is there for the finding.

You're blessed when you're ravenously hungry.
Then you're ready for the Messianic meal.

You're blessed when the tears flow freely.
Joy comes with the morning."

so, i'm praying that in spite of my failures and in spite of myself, that i will seek to see the blessing in all things. i pray that through the messes i see the happy, healthy kids. in spite of hubs traveling, i see a man who is madly and passionately in love with me. and when i feel alone, i remember that my Lord never leaves me. he never forsakes me and remains a steady and constant in a world of change.

so, i guess my challenge for you: seek the blessings in the unexpected. and if you would, pray for me to find that smile behind the mess. :)

and it's wordful wednesday over at angie's place...join in the fun!

Comments

Rune said…
I am feeling the same way right now. I am so glad you sharing this. I will pray for you. Please pray for me to.

God bless you

Wibeche
Unknown said…
sounds like you're being a little hard on yourself!! have you checked into FLYLADY? (www.flylady.net) she has been a wonderful motivator for me... she helped me get my act together fer shure!!!
Rebekah said…
Excellent post.

I try to remind myself of this when I dont feel like praying. I little guilt stab says "Look what Jesus did. Remember what God has done. You can take out a few minutes to spend time in prayer"
Karen said…
That's awesome, and inspirational. I've vowed to work on that myself and sometimes I get through several days before I blow it again. It's all about starting over. You go, girl!
CntryMomma said…
I needed to hear this today. Thank you!

LORI
Anonymous said…
What a great reminder; thank you so much!
GypsiAdventure said…
Thats beautiful and so true. It is difficult to see beyond the mess sometimes, but if we can stop long enough to breath, sometimes we find beauty in the oddest corners smiling back at us. Thank you for the wonderful reminder...I hope you find your hidden blessing today....
~K
Kacey said…
Thanks babe! I NEEDED this today. My WW was similiar although yours was better articulated. :o) So, wanna hook a sista up and find a verse to get me through the screaming? LOL

Have a good one!
Jess said…
Thank you!! :*)
That was wonderful! I'm going to go play with my babies when they wake up!

That foam is some crazy stuff!! LOL
brionyskerjance said…
This post is so great. I am daily challenging myself to be content with where I am and what I have and to find the beauty in the blessings I am surrounded by. They may be hidden by familiarity or even hard work but they are blessings all the same.

Thanks for the input on the pic, I have lots of fun playing with different effects and seeing which one can bring out the depth of the picture :)
He & Me + 3 said…
Great post. I find I need to do that more too. Somedays it is so hard. Yesterday was a hard one for me...just frustrating and yet, I have so much to be thankful for...in the midst of the chaos. Loved the art your hubby made...very cool.
Meredith said…
Thank you for your words and know I'm still praying...
Lorina said…
I tell ya, I feel the exact same. I am trying so hard to just be happy and quite gripping about little things!

Really great post.
Hccm said…
This post in one of the reason I love visiting your blog. It is hard to do, but we need to find the blessings in all things.


hugs and mocha,
Stesha
Hccm said…
Also wanted to let you know that I am finding the blessing in the music on your blog. Whenever my daughter hears it, she does a happy dance.

Especially Harry Connick! We tend to favor him since we are from Louisiana.
Hccm said…
Also wanted to let you know that I am finding the blessing in the music on your blog. Whenever my daughter hears it, she does a happy dance.

Especially Harry Connick! We tend to favor him since we are from Louisiana.
brionyskerjance said…
hahaha I love that you said that I just started a post called my secret...hahah It's all about my fasination with farmers and ranchers and that lifestyle. So No I don't think you're weird at all...I secretly want to be one too :)
Michelle said…
Really cool picture and a great reminder!
Jen said…
I need to relearn this over and over and over again. Contentment is one thing that I really struggle with. But I like what you said. I too need to take time to look around at my blessing and count.
Liz said…
very well said! I love this post...thank you for sharing! ~Liz
Rebecca Jo said…
I needed these words & reminders of God being with us when we feel alone... you're speaking to alot of people it seems in this post... good for you!
junglemama said…
I really needed to read this today. Simply..... thanks.
Live.Love.Eat said…
I LOVE that!! Finding the smile behind the mess!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
I can't imagine have kids (let alone FOUR!) b/c I already get stressed out when I don't get the dishes done or something. Sometimes it's nice to remind yourself to just be happy!
Lindsay said…
Thank you so much for that reminder. I needed that today - and will remember that when my hubby comes home late, too...well, among other things as well.
Tracy said…
beautiful post. I love the MESSAGE as well. thanks for taking the time to share - and be honest.
blessings
CC said…
I sooooo need to work on looking for the positives. Praise is one of my goals for the year (for me and the whole family!).

Popular posts from this blog

random acts...GNO

over at GNO, there's a few of us who decided to challenge ourselves last week to perform a random act of kindness.   i talked with my girls and hubs about what we could do... we reserve some funds each month out of our giving to put towards a current or urgent need that we find.  i think it's important to let the kids see how we give as family...and they should be part of that decision too . as we were talking, and eating chinese...come on, you know there would be eating...i open my fortune cookie.  and this is it!! i was out getting a few minutes of alone time and decided to pay hubs forward by getting jiffy lube to do the oil change.  while i was there, i remembered how hard it was being a single mom.  i remembered that the little things, like oil changes, suddenly became bigger things and honestly, more expensive things.  *light bulb!!!* thomas rang me up for my oil change and asked if they had any scheduled appointments that i could pay for.  he looked at me a little odd...

sadness

on the way home from DD {{bc apparently there was NO preschool today for jk...it's no prob, really...we just rushed around and scrambled and got in the car and then when we got there and there was no school...well, there were tears...thus DD}} , there came a moment of sincere sadness in my heart. jk: " mommy, i want to look like brookie" "why sweetie? you are the perfect jada" jk: "i don't like my brown skin. i want peach skin like brookie" i just sank. does that not make ur heart want to break? a 3 yo is struggling already with her skin being different. then, this happened: brooke: "jada, god made you and he loves you. he does it all right the very first time" then, i think my heart grew three sizes . jada threw a big smile up on her face and said, "ok. god loves me" now, if we all could just do that. god loves us...he doesn't make mistakes...he makes perfect works of art. sometimes there are scratches in the art.

tuesday tribute---for tuesday

go blog yourself has been on my reading list for quite sometime...and so i really came to love little tuesday whitt and her whole sweet fam and became involved in praying for them in tuesday's battle with that stinky neuroblastoma . tuesday's parents are totally amazing...they inspire me! although tuesday went to play with jesus not so long ago, there have been so many people that are changed because of the courage and strength and honesty of the whitt family. on the day of celebration of tuesday's life, a number of folks who couldn't make it out to the funeral, took their kids on a 'wagie ride', which was one of tuesday's fav things. we all posted up our pics...shared our experiences with each other...and hugged our kiddos a little tighter. my kiddos wagie ride is here . from that precious little tuesday and her honorary wagie ride, a blog spawned...of course...and it is dedicated to nothing more than, in their words, "to keep track of lives touc